Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

Happy Independence Day!

I had a rare weekday off yesterday, and the Lovely Bride & I meandered into Austin and watched the latest Star Trek movie. She is not a Trekkie(or any kind of S-F fan), and even she liked it. It was in the form of a "prequel", revealing events which led up to the original tv series, and did a fair job of illustrating how some of the crew relationships began and developed. After the show, it was off to a little hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese place for some really good noodles and such. I miss not having such things close by, but would still rather live in Naruna.

We have no plans for the actual 4th, but are just trying to not melt down. 105 at mid-afternoon, and I'm just waiting for a little shade to get on the, still new, above ground pool before I go float the afternoon away. Maybe a couple of cold Peroni bieres will help with fluid & electrolyte replacement.

My only semi-productive activity this holiday weekend is reading a new book. To those who know me , that hardly qualifies as startling news, but this is a little different from the usual novels I lose myself in. The book is by Giles Tremlett, "Ghosts of Spain", and is about the Civil War, its aftermath and its effects on current Spanish life and politics. In particular, he looks at the "pacto del olvido" or "pact of the forgetfulness" which existed throughout the reign of Franco and has only begun to crumble thirty years after El Caudillo's death. Not an easy read, but worth it in the long run, I hope.

No comments: