Monday, September 9, 2013

Re-Exploring Austin

(This was begun several years ago, and has been sitting in my computer, just waiting.)

That Monday dawned gray and dreary. The only point in its favor was that it was a holiday, and for once I didn't have to go to work. The Lovely Bride, however, did have to go in and feed her 400 second and third graders, so I struck out on my own for the day.

I have a niece who had just moved to Austin after having spent the past couple of years in Houston, San Antonio and Panama. For the moment she was without a vehicle, so I gave her a call to see if she was interested in tagging along while I ran some errands. With a day off from school, she agreed to supervise as I shopped. Shopping is probably not the most accurate word to describe what I had planned.  I don't mind buying things, but aimlessly wandering through retail venues has to be one of my least favorite activities.  That day, I knew what I wanted...a new pair of boots. Tony Lama ropers in a light brown known as Aztec.  Nothing exotic, no ostrich or elephant or spotted porcupine hides...just plain leather boots.  I even had the model number!

We headed south on Congress Avenue, passing some of Austin's iconic landmarks, and pulled up at Allen's Boots.  One of those businesses which seemed to have been around forever, it is a multi-sensory shopping experience. Row upon row of closely packed boots allow the shopper for manly-footwear to see, feel and smell the aroma of tanned leather while deciding exactly how pointy the toe can be and still be wearable. I tried to remain focused on my quarry while easing down the cave-like aisles. Alas, 'twas not to be. I located the correct brand, size and model, but the perfect color just wasn't there. A nice young man offered to have them ordered and delivered directly to me, but I still have a reluctance to spend hundreds of dollars on footwear without trying them on. We retreated to the pickup, only picking up a couple of pairs of Wranglers on our way out.

Moving south on Congress, we discussed our options, passing such familiar dining venues as the Magnolia Cafe and Hill's. We reversed course and moved toward the north side of Austin so my niece could show me where she attends the Texas Culinary Academy. Like so many young people today, she managed to acquire a formal education without simultaneously finding a direction for her life. Now she is working on developing a passion she has for baking, into a livelihood. 

We cruised the backstreets of Austin, checking out 6th Street and some of the city's other scenic hotspots as we progressed northward.  I pointed out places which were still familiar to me from 35 years ago, and some which have changed location, such as the Frisco.  Fortunately, I managed to successfully complete my quest, finding the correct boots in a store on Burnet Road as we headed north.  Then with no particular destination, we visited my niece's cooking school, passing some of the more recent growth on the north side including some of the newest(and priciest) shopping spots before stopping for lunch.  With full bellies, it was back on the road, this time taking the Capitol Of Texas Highway from the Arboretum all the way back down to Congress Avenue. 

My lazy day of driving the streets reinforced the idea that the Austin of old is still there, although it is sometimes hidden by the glare of the new.  Push aside the glitz, and those qualities which made Austin an interesting place to visit or live in 1975, can still be found.

No comments: