Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Island Comfort Food

When you're stuck in the middle of landlocked central Texas, and you need an island food fix, what do you do? You improvise, naturally. I went cruising on the net a couple of weeks ago because I had a craving for some coconut syrup like I used to find when I lived on the windward side of Oahu. Not surprisingly, I was able to locate a source...the problem was the shipping was more than the cost of a couple bottles of syrup and some guava jelly. I bit the bullet and put in the order and waited. And waited. It took almost two weeks for the UPS driver to make it to my door, and when he did I tore into the package. My Lovely Bride took pity on me, and tonight she fixed what was a typical Hawaiian breakfast when we lived in paradise. She whipped up some pancakes, fried some thick slices of Spam, and topped it all with a couple of eggs fried over easy. I also had to fix a short stack with some toasted macadamia nuts on top, slathered with plenty of coconut syrup to satisfy my sweet tooth. Now that's what I call a well balanced meal!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

love macadamia nuts, but spam? ew :-p

Betsy! said...

interesting that i too just bought a can of spam this week and am saving it for a yummy weekend breakfast...

Anonymous said...

Ono!!

Angie said...

soooooo jealous

Anita Helena said...

I'll be right over!!!!